How to integrate my AWS cloud using CloudFormation
It’s very simple, takes less than 10 minutes!
Follow the steps to integrate your AWS cloud with CleanCloud:
1. Integration must be done through your root account to access cost data. Don’t worry, linked accounts are automatically brought.
2. In CleanCloud, click the cloud menu at the top right and select add.
3. Select AWS and Continue
4. Type a name for your cloud and click on Continue.
To integrate account billing, it is necessary to create a report in a defined bucket for CleanCloud to collect, analyze and provide total visibility of your costs.
5. On AWS page, navigate to the Reports page in the Billing management console and select Create Report.
6. On the report creation page, type the name “CleanCloudReport” and select Include resource IDs and Automatically update your report options. Click on Next.
7. Click Configure to create a new bucket on your S3 where the report will be saved.
8. In the window that opens, choose Create a Bucket. As Bucket S3 name put “mycompany-report-cleancloud” and select a region where you prefer. Then click Next.
9. Confirm the security policy that gives AWS permission to record or archive a report inside the newly created bucket. Click on Save.
10. You will return to the report configuration page. First validate the Bucket you created, then fill the Report Path Prefix with CleanCloud. Select Hourly Granularity and Report Versioning to Create a New Version, and finally choose Compression Type as GZIP. Click Next. Obs: Bucket must appear as valid.
11. Review the available information and complete to finalize report creation.
12. Select Cost and Usage Report and click the CleanCloudReport.
13. Copy the text displayed in the Report Path Prefix field.
14. Finally you must enable tags for cost reporting. Go to the Cost Allocation Tags page in the cost management console. On the User-defined cost allocation tags tab, select all tags and click Activate. (Services > Billing > Cost allocation tags)
If you have a lot of tags, click the settings icon and in the table size, select the option with the largest number of items and confirm. This way it is possible to enable all tags without accessing each page separately (ex: 1, 2, and 3).
You have completed the first part of the integration, congratulations!
In the next steps, we will use a CloudFormation URL to automatically create the IAM roles with the attached policies in order to allow the integration of the AWS account with CleanCloud.
15. Back to the CleanCloud page click on the Cloud Formation URL button.
16. Click the copy icon to copy the CloudFormation URL and paste it into a new browser tab.
17. In the CloudFormation dashboard on the Parameters tab, add the account name to integrate. Then enter the S3 bucket name “mycompany-report-cleancloud” and the report path prefix also created – / CleanCloudReport.
18. At the page bottom select the option I acknowledge that AWS CloudFormation might create IAM resources and click Create stack.
19. Once created, you will be redirected to the page of the new stack you created. In the Events tab you can check the status of the resources created by CloudFormation.
20. After the status appears as complete, access the Outputs tab and copy the Value field with the ARN role to integrate the account.
21. In the CleanCloud panel, paste the ARN role into the related field and click Continue.
22. On the CleanCloud page, in the S3 bucket field, type the name of the bucket created “mycompany-report-cleancloud”, and paste the copied prefix in the Report path field. Then click Continue.
23. Finally on CleanCloud page, click Stat optimization and you’re done!